Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Fabric Books

My 11 month old loves looking through "Your Baby Can Read" Lift a Flap Books. The books aren't cheap, so we don't let him play with them (only adult supervised reading). He likes them so much, I wanted to make him some books that he can read on his own (no adult supervision required to protect the books). So, I made a fabric version using iron on transfer and words and pictures printed from my computer.

Here's how I did it.
1)Created a word document with the words I wanted to use and printed it on the iron on transfer sheet.
2) Printed pictures (some from the Picture This CD) and some from my own picture files.
3) Cut 8.5"x11" rectangles out of white muslin. Ironed on the photos. Cut out the same size rectangle from scrap fabric for the backing and of thin batting. Sewed the 3 layers together and then turned them right-side out. Then top-stitched 1/4" around the page. I also stitched 1" along the edge that will be bound.
4) Next I cut more 8.5"x11" rectangles out of white muslin. I folded the rectangles in half, and then ironed on the words. I refolded the rectangles with the words on the inside and stitched 1/4" on each side. Then I turned the flap to the outside and pressed the edges.

5) Next, I pinned the flap on the book page and sewed 1/4" (See picture below).






6) Then I turned the flap down and stitched a 1/4" again (see picture below).


7) Then I marked where I wanted the binding. I made a small button holes for the binding rings to go through. I got these rings at Walmart.


-You may wonder why I bothered to make the word flaps instead of putting the word under the picture. First, the Flip-a-flap books are set up this way. Second, there is empirical research that suggests that presenting a picture with the word may block learning to read the word for individuals with developmental disabilities (Fossett & Mirenda, 2006).

Fossett, B., & Mirenda, P. (2006). Sight word reading in children with developmental disabilities: A comparison of paired associate and picture-to-text matching instruction. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 27, 411-429.

No comments:

Post a Comment